Minister of State for Education, Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, made the clarification on Thursday during the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 news conference in Abuja following rumours making the round the Federal Government would reopen schools in the next two weeks
The Federal Government had ordered the indefinite closure of educational institutions nationwide as part of measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 pandemic.
When will Schools Resume in Nigeria ?
Firstly, our attention has been drawn to some rumors going around that schools will resume on 8th June 2020. We made our research and can confirm that as at the time of updating this page (9:46 pm, 21st May), FG is yet to announce any resumption date.
Still on that, we want to inform you that the Minister of State Education, Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, has today (21st May) reiterated that schools will resume soon but not in two weeks’ time.
Read what he said:
- “We all are seriously interested in reopening and I believe we will reopen soon. But I can’t confirm what your children said that we will reopen in two weeks.
- “The issue around reopening has nothing to do with the availability of the schools or not. It has to do with national governance. The idea of shutting down the schools has nothing to do with the schools per se.
- “You heard the chairman of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, the SGF, keep saying it is a national response. It is a single national response and everything we do flows from that.
- When they determine, I’m sure you have seen all the experts here, that there is the measure of safety to which we can expose our children, we will gladly do that. We are watching and we are working with all bodies within and outside the country.
- The five countries of West African Examination Council (WAEC) are meeting and I just came out of a meeting with African Union (AU) Ministers of Education, everybody is concerned as you are. We hope to reopen very soon.
- This morning, I met with the Ministry of Science and Technology. We are looking at putting a system in place that can disinfect every child as he goes into a school and disinfects him as he goes out.
- “If we resource our schools properly we can begin to reopen. But we must be able to ensure that the children go in safe and come out safe and not become a conduit for further infection in society.”
- There you have it, YES SCHOOLS will resume soon (after the gradual ease lockdown) but not exactly after two weeks, not even 8th of June.
- We promised to always update this page with the latest news on when schools in Nigeria will resume, the above is the latest update!
If there’s any further update you need to know on the “school resumption date”, still be assured that we will update it on this page!
We believe this is still good news as there’s still hope of resuming really soon. But that’s what we think! We want to know what you think.
Use the comment box below to talk with us, we want to hear from you! Please don’t forget to share this page with friends!
In case you missed, our previous updates on when will schools resume in Nigeria, then read them below:
Previous Update 03 (20th June 2020)
We are very pleased to inform you now that the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on Covid-19 has raised hope on resumption date.
Yes that’s right! The Presidential Task Force on Coronavirus response has asked businesses, offices, professional bodies, places of worship, and educational institutions, to prepare for reopening after the “two weeks gradual ease of lockdown”.
The Chairman of the PTF COVID-19 and Secretary to the government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha, made this known to the public while speaking at the daily briefing on Tuesday.
He also urged Nigerians to prepare for “behavioral change” which he said ” is a must for every citizen because COVID-19 has changed the world completely”
Summary: According to the PTF, schools might resume anytime after 1st June 2020. But please note that the Ministry of Education will also have to officially instruct schools to resume. The ministry is yet to give any order/statement. Once they do, we will update this page.
PREVIOUS UPDATE 01
When will school resume? Is that the question you have been asking? If so, this page is just for you! Continue reading below.
PREVIOUS UPDATE 02
Some online rumor-mongers have posted on their blogs that schools in Nigeria will resume on June 1st, 2020. That news is fake!
As at the time of updating this page, the Federal Government is yet to officially announce the resumption date for schools in Nigeria. Please share this page with friends, sharing is caring!