Senegal vs Equatorial Guinea
Africa – Africa Cup of Nations
Date: Sunday, 30 January 2022
Kick-off at 19:00 UK/ 20:00 CET
Venue: Japoma Stadium.
There is a difference of 94 spots between the two in the FIFA Ranking list. Senegal are placed 20thin the world, thus making them easily one of the very best teams in the AFCON region.
They are also the losing finalists in the previous edition of the Cup of Nations, and it will only make them try harder this time around. They do have the added confidence of current champions Algeria already being eliminated.
Meanwhile, Equatorial Guinea should consider themselves lucky for having reached this far, and now they have picked a fight against a clear superior.
The Senegalese easily have the upper hand for this upcoming encounter, and they should make light work of their opponent at the Japoma Stadium.
Senegal vs Equatorial Guinea Head-to-head (h2h)
- The latest encounter had ended in a 1-0 win for the Senegalese.
- They have a combined scorecard of 4-0 from the past two encounters.
- It’s been ten years since they have lost against this opponent.
- This is the first time these two are locking horns in the knockouts of the Cup of Nations.
Senegal vs Equatorial Guinea Prediction & Analysis
The Senegalese registered a 2-0 win in the Round of 16, against Cape Verde, and they once again kept a clean sheet in the tournament. Defense has been one of their hallmarks all through the tournament, and after the crashing out of Algeria, they have been picked as the oddsmakers’ favorite to go all the way.
Do also note that they have lost just once in the past 22 games.
On the other hand, Guinea had to go through penalties in the previous round to overcome Mali. The game had ended in a goalless draw even after extra time.
Moreover, they were winless in six of their past eleven games, and they have managed to score more than one goal just once in the past thirteen fixtures.
Finally, they also have a rather inferior h2h record against this opponent.
By the looks of things, expect a win for Senegal this weekend.
Key Stats for Betting
- Equatorial Guinea are ranked 114th in the world (as opposed to their counterparts being placed 20th in the same list).
- They were placed second in Group E, and could manage to score a total of just two goals in the group stage.
- Meanwhile, the Senegalese were champions of Group B, and they have not conceded a single goal at all in the current edition of the Cup of Nations.