Diego Simeone’s men currently hold a three-point lead on their midweek opponents, who go into this match having played three more league games this season.
Where to watch Real Sociedad vs Atletico Madrid on TV:
- UK: LaLigaTV
- US: beIN SPORTS
Where to live stream Real Sociedad vs Atletico Madrid:
UK: Bet365* are streaming this match live for account holders. Those without a Bet365 account already who are interested in streaming Home vs Away live can take advantage of this service by following the simple steps below.
- Click on this
- ‘Join now’ and enter details.
- Log in and fund the new account.
- Pick the desired event from among the ‘live now’ or ‘schedule’ sections in Bet365’s ‘live streaming’ category.
Scoreline prediction: Real Sociedad 1-1 Atletico Madrid
Compare football odds to get the best in the market using the Oddspedia tool below. Selecting a price will take you to the bookmaker’s sign-up page, where you can register, claim whatever welcome offer is available to new customers and place your bet.
Real Sociedad vs Atletico Madrid build-up, previous line-ups & injury news:
A run of six consecutive wins for Real Sociedad has given way to five successive matches without registering a win. Consequently, they’ve surrendered top spot to Atletico and Real Madrid who are on 29 points apiece. It’s too early to say the wheels are coming off, but Sociedad desperately need a win to restore that early season promise.
Sociedad have been unbeaten at home since falling to a 0-1 defeat at the hands of Valencia in late September, but they’ve been held at the Reale Arena by Villarreal (1-1) and Eibar (1-1) since last winning against Granada (2-0) in November. As for league leaders Atleti, they’ve responded well following a 2-0 derby loss to city rivals Los Blancos.
Simeone’s men brushed Elche aside (3-1) and now find themselves three points ahead of their opponents with three games in hand. On their travels this season, Atletico have won three of their previous five away games, and before leaving the Bernabeu humbled they claimed all of those wins on the bounce. However, on their last trip to Real Sociedad the Madrid-based club suffered a 2-0 defeat.
- Real Sociedad (vs Eibar): Remiro; Zaldua, Le Normand, Sagnan, Muñoz; Merino, Guevara; Barrenetxea, López, Merquelanz; Isak.
- Atletico Madrid (vs Elche): Oblak; Trippier, Savic, Hermoso, Lodi; Carrasco, Koke, Llorente, Lemar; Félix, Suárez.
No fewer than six Real Sociedad players — Mikel Oyarzabal, Adnan Januzaj (hamstring), David Silva (muscle), Miguel Angel Moya (physical discomfort), Jon Guridi (muscle) and Luca Sangalli (knee) — are out for manager Imanol Alguacil. As for his opposite number Simeone, the Atleti boss must do without Hector Herrera (thigh) whilst Ivo Grbic is absent due to illness.
Players to watch:
- Real Sociedad: The absence of Oyarzabal has been telling; since suffering a muscle injury that has seen him miss four league matches, Real Sociedad have not only failed to win a single game but netted on three occasions. He’s not only La Real’s captain but also their leading scorer on seven goals, registering the bulk of them (six) across five consecutive games. Someone needs to step up and being a centre-forward predominantly you fancy Alexander Isak to be the one who does. He scored his third of the campaign against Levante last time out, ending a three-appearance drought and he’ll fancy producing in back-to-back games for the first time in La Liga since June.
- Atletico Madrid: There were some question marks over his signing this summer, given some questionable performances last term, but as we approach Christmas it’s fair to say acquiring Luis Suarez has been a success. Not only is he Atletico’s leading scorer on seven goals, in nine appearances, he’s been rolling back the years when it comes to winning possession and being a nuisance for centre-backs. The former Barça marksman heads into this game having bagged twice in a comfortable win over Elche, but he’s yet to leave a mark on the road, before visiting Sociedad he’s scored just once — across three matches — outside Madrid, and that came in a 0-2 win at Celta Vigo.
La Liga 2020/21 recent form:
- Real Sociedad: LLDDD
- Atletico Madrid: WLWWW