Manchester United vs Atletico Madrid
UEFA Champions League
Date: Tuesday, 15 March 2022
Kick-off at 20:00 UK/ 21:00 CET
Venue: Old Trafford.
The Red Devils are going through a poor stretch of performances at the moment, and this Champions League knockout could not have come at a worse time for them.
They are already struggling to keep a top-four position in the Premier League, and there are talks about Ralf Rangnick losing the dressing room.
Meanwhile, Atletico Madrid seem to have found form at the right time. They are finding the back of the net at an impressive rate, and they also seem determined to avenge themselves for their CL heartbreaks inflicted by Cristiano Ronaldo in the past decade.
By the looks of things, Atleti seem to have the edge. They also have the confidence of having eliminated Liverpool at the Anfield in the Round of 16, just two years back.
Manchester United vs Atletico Madrid Head-to-head (h2h)
- Atleti have a 100% unbeaten record against this rival.
- These two had clashed in the Second Round of UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup 1992, and then the Spaniards progressed to the next round with a 4-1 aggregate scorecard.
- The Devils lost against Villarreal (from La Liga) in the Europa League Final of last season.
- Atleti had recorded a 2-3 win at Anfield in 2020, to eliminate Liverpool from the Champions League.
Manchester United vs Atletico Madrid Prediction & Analysis
The first leg ended in a 1-1 draw, and since away-goal rule is abolished, United will have no special advantage.
Their form has been quite worrisome lately. They just lost 4-1 on the road against arch-rivals Manchester City, and they were also winless in six of their past eight fixtures.
On the other hand, Simeone’s men recorded a confidence-boosting 1-3 win on the road the past game week, against the impressive Real Betis. They had also won five of the past eight fixtures, and they had scored two or more goals in six of their past eight match-ups.
Considering these stats, expect Atleti to have the edge this Tuesday.
Still, this is the Old Trafford, and the Devils had scored some clutch goals throughout this campaign. It would be hard for the Spanish visitors to keep a clean sheet.
Key Stats for Betting
- Diego Simeone’s men have scored the most number of goals in the Spanish top flight, after Real Madrid.
- Their only loss in the La Liga in the past three-month period had come against Barcelona.
- Meanwhile, the Devils have won just twice in the past two-month period. These losses had come against Leeds, and Brighton – two of the weaker teams in the PL.
- Their latest appearance at home was against Watford, who are placed 19th in the PL table. The game ended in a draw.