Lille vs Chelsea
UEFA Champions League
Date: Wednesday, 16 March 2022
Kick-off at 20:00 UK/ 21:00 CET
Venue: Stade Pierre-Mauroy.
Defending champions Chelsea began their knockout journey in style, as they registered a 2-0 win at home in the first leg. Now they will be taking a trip to France, and will hope to complete the job thus making it to the Quarters.
They have been on a great streak of performances lately, and it’s impressive that they are in the hunt for a top-three finish in the Premier League this season, despite the intense competition.
Meanwhile, Lille have been struggling quite a bit in the past few weeks – even so at home. They have also been on a poor run of results in the French Ligue 1.
And on top of all that, the team needs to overcome a deficit of two goals. This is a dream scenario for the Blues. Count on them to make the most of this fixture, and thus register another win as well.
Lille vs Chelsea Head-to-head (h2h)
- Thomas Tuchel’s men have a 100% winning record.
- They had scored two or more goals in every single meeting till now.
- Lille were winless in nine of their total twelve fixtures against other English opponents.
- Meanwhile, the Blues are on a two-fixture winning streak against other French foes, and they had scored a total of five goals in the process.
Lille vs Chelsea Prediction & Analysis
The first leg ended in a 2-0 win for the current champions at their venue, and now they are at the Stade Pierre-Mauroy, to defend the lead.
They are on a four-fixture winning streak, and had scored three or more goals in three of these games. They had also won ten of their past eleven overall fixtures, and they are on a five-game winning streak on the road.
On the other hand, Lille were winless in seven of their former eleven match-ups, and they have won just once at home in the past two-month period.
Considering these observations, expect a win for Chelsea this Wednesday. And do expect goals in plenty, especially since the hosts will be going after goals right from the get-go. The visitors will try to make good use of this desperation.
Key Stats for Betting
- The Blues have conceded the least number of goals in the English top flight, disregarding just one other squad.
- They have lost just thrice all through their league campaign.
- Meanwhile, Lille still need a surplus of four points to climb to the fifth spot – which would enable them to take part at least in the Conference League.