Chelsea vs Tottenham
England – Carabao Cup
Date: Wednesday, 5 January 2021
Kick-off at 19:45 UK/ 20:45 CET
Venue: Stamford Bridge.
Carabao will probably be the only trophy for which the Spurs have a realistic chance this season. They had contested in the final of the competition in 2020-21, where they fell against Manchester City for a 1-0 score line (with the winning goal coming in the 82nd minute).
It goes without saying that they will be motivated to go for a win in this first leg of the semis, especially since it’s a huge opportunity for Antonio Conte to justify his appointment to the fans.
However, they are pitted against reigning European champions Chelsea, and they have been in great form all through the campaign. Moreover, this first leg is at their home as well.
By the looks of things, expect a fierce encounter this Wednesday at the Stamford Bridge. And it’s anticipated that goals will come from either end of the pitch.
Chelsea vs Tottenham Head-to-head (h2h)
- The latest encounter had ended in a 0-3 win for the Blues.
- The hosts had scored two or more goals in 11 of the previous 13 clashes at this ground.
- In the past six-year period, the hosts have kept just two clean sheets at this stadium.
- Eight of the previous eleven meetings at this venue had three or more goals.
Chelsea vs Tottenham Prediction & Analysis
Thomas Tuchel’s men had recorded a 0-2 win on the road in the previous round, against Brentford. They are on a long unbeaten streak at the moment, and have easily been one of the best three teams in England this season – along with City and Liverpool.
Particularly at home, they have been delivering good performances consistently, and have been scoring goals at an impressive rate.
On the other hand, the arrival of Conte has rejuvenated Spurs, and they are determined to put an end to their trophyless stint. This is a great opportunity for them, especially with current champions City already out of the tournament.
By the looks of things, expect fireworks from both these in-form teams this Wednesday, and expect them to take some risks (as this is the first leg).
The inference is that we are about to witness goals coming from both sides of the pitch.
Key Stats for Betting
- The Blues are on a seven-fixture unbeaten streak, and they had remained so in 19 of their past 20 games.
- They have lost just once at home since May, and the defeat had come against Manchester City.
- Meanwhile, Tottenham are on a five-game unbeaten run, and had scored two or more goals in five of their past eight fixtures