Chelsea FC vs Southampton LIVE! Latest team news, lineups, prediction, TV, Premier League match stream today
Chelsea are back in Premier League action following the international break with a home clash against Southampton today.
The Blues return on a high after a 4-0 victory over Crystal Palace. That win was gratefully received by Frank Lampard after the frustration of a penalty shootout loss to Tottenham in the Carabao Cup, a 3-3 League draw against West Brom, and a 2-0 home defeat by Liverpool.
Chelsea will be favourites to overcome a Southampton side that have won two and lost two of their opening four Leagues matches, securing back-to-back victories over Burnley and West Brom prior to the international break.
With kick-off at 3pm BST, follow the latest news with Malik Ouzia!
— Southampton FC (@SouthamptonFC) October 17, 2020
Southampton team news
Southampton XI: McCarthy; Walker-Peters, Bednarek, Vestergaard, Bertrand; Walcott, Ward-Prowse, Romeu, Redmond; Adams, Ings.
Subs: Stephens, Long, Obafemi, Valery, Tella, Diallo, Forster
Southampton claimed a shock 2-0 win in this fixture last season with goals from Michael Obafemi and Nathan Redmond.
Chelsea did secure a convincing 4-1 victory on the south coast and have won eight of their last ten meetings with the Saints.
Chelsea v Southampton: TV channel and live stream
This game is one of the Premier League games to be shown under the new pay-per-view system this season.
It will be broadcast on BT Sport Box Office from 2pm.
It will cost £14.95 and can then be live streamed via the app using their mobile, tablet or computer devices.
Southampton star Danny Ings is one of the Premier League’s top strikers
Chelsea v Southampton: Radio coverage
Updates from west London will be live on talkSPORT from 2:30pm.
Adrian Durham will be with you for GameDay Live as he goes around the grounds for all the goals as they go in from the Premier League and EFL.
Darren Bent believes Declan Rice would be an upgrade on N’Golo Kante at Chelsea
Chelsea v Southampton: Match stats and facts
- Chelsea have won seven of their last nine Premier League meetings with Southampton (D1 L1), though they did lose this exact fixture 0-2 last season.
- Following their 2-0 win at Stamford Bridge last season, Southampton are looking to pick up back-to-back away league victories against Chelsea for the first time since March 1985.
- Chelsea have won seven of their last eight Premier League home games (L1), netting 18 goals, conceding four and keeping five clean sheets in that run.
- Since the start of last season, no side has conceded fewer home Premier League goals than Chelsea (18, excluding the promoted clubs).
- Southampton are looking to win three consecutive Premier League games for the first time since a run of four in May 2016, while Saints last won three in a row without conceding in the competition in January 2016.
- Southampton have faced just over seven shots per Premier League game so far this season (29 in four games), fewer than any other side in 2020-21. However, only West Ham (1.8) have faced fewer shots on target per game so far this term than Chelsea (3).
- Chelsea have made a league-high 81 10+ open play pass sequences in the Premier League this season – however, Southampton have allowed their opponents to make just 11 such sequences this term, fewer than any other side.
- Chelsea’s Olivier Giroud has had a hand in five goals in his last four Premier League games against Southampton (4 goals, 1 assist), while only against Aston Villa and Newcastle (8 each) has he scored more Premier League goals than he has versus Saints (7). His last four goals against them have been as a substitute – only Julian Joachim against Derby (5) has scored more goals against a specific opponent from the bench in the competition.
- Jorginho has netted three goals in his three Premier League games for Chelsea this season (all from the penalty spot), just one fewer than he scored in 31 appearances last term.
- Edouard Mendy kept a clean sheet on his Premier League debut for Chelsea against Crystal Palace last time out – the last keeper to keep a clean sheet on their first two league starts for the Blues was Petr Cech in August 2004.
CHELSEA STARTING XI
Ben Chilwell IS fit enough to start for Chelsea today, Hakim Ziyech also makes the bench.
Kepa goes between the sticks in place of new boy Edouard Mendy and Pulisic returns to the starting 11.
1 Kepa; 28 Azpilicueta (c), 4 Christensen, 15 Zouma, 21 Chilwell; 5 Jorginho, Kante; 19 Mount, 29 Havertz, 10 Pulisic; 11 Werner.
Chelsea team news
Chelsea XI: Kepa, Azpilicueta, Zouma, Christensen, Chilwell, Jorginho, Kante, Mount, Pulisic, Havertz, Werner
Subs: Caballero, Tomori, James, Hudson-Odoi, Ziyech, Abraham, Giroud.
We’re expecting team news in the next 10 minutes, so watch this space…
— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) October 17, 2020
Team news and stats ahead of Chelsea vs Southampton in the Premier League on Saturday (kick-off 3pm).
Chelsea boss Frank Lampard confirmed that Hakim Ziyech will be in the squad for the first time and could be set to make his debut. The former Ajax star has recovered from a knee injury with Ben Chilwell and Christian Pulisic also set to feature.
Edouard Mendy and Thiago Silva are out though, with the goalkeeper injured and the Brazilian not involved following returning from international duty later than ideal.
“Mendy won’t be fit for this game but we hope he won’t be out for too long,” said Lampard at his pre-match press conference after his new signing picked up a thigh injury during his time away with Senegal.
Lampard didn’t confirm which one of Kepa Arrizabalaga or Willy Caballero will replace Mendy for Saturday’s clash