Chelsea vs Real Madrid
UEFA Champions League
Date: Wednesday, 6 April 2022
Kick-off at 20:00 UK/ 21:00 CET
Venue: Stamford Bridge.
This is possibly the match-up of the season so far in Europe. The most successful team in the history of the Champions League take on the defending champions. Sparks are sure to be produced at the Stamford Bridge this Wednesday.
Moreover, the game also has another piece of recent history attached to it. These two had locked horns in the semi finals of the previous edition of the CL, and then Thomas Tuchel’s men went ahead and secured a win. They then progressed to the Final, where they defeated Manchester City.
This time around, the Los Blancos will be eager to avenge themselves for that loss. But their recent performances have not been that great. In addition, they were totally outplayed by arch-rivals Barcelona at the Bernabeu (fixture ended 0-4), and that too manager Xavi had assembled a group of youngsters.
This loss definitely will be playing in the back of the minds of Carlo Ancelotti’s men, and Chelsea will be keen to take advantage of this confusion.
Count on the reigning European champions to deliver a win at their home this Wednesday.
Chelsea vs Real Madrid Head-to-head (h2h)
- The latest meeting had ended in a 2-0 win for the Blues, at this venue.
- They had also registered a 0-1 win in the 1998 Super Cup.
- The only wins by Real Madrid in the 21st century had come in the International Champions Cup – which is a pre-season tournament.
- Three of the past four clashes had goals from both teams.
Chelsea vs Real Madrid Prediction & Analysis
Chelsea defeated Lille in both legs of the Round of 16, and they have been in great form at home almost for the entirety of the 2021-22 season. They also have the confidence of having defeated this same opponent in the semis of the former edition of the CL.
On the other hand, though Real Madrid defeated PSG in their Round of 16 tie, they have not been very impressive lately. Especially their playing style has led to widespread calls for the head of gaffer Carlo Ancelotti.
And this issues of theirs were on full display when Xavi defeated them 0-4 at their own ground, just a game week before.
By the looks of things, expect a hard-fought win for Chelsea.
However, note that both teams have been finding the back of the net in plenty all through 2021-22, and these two are now just five games away from another European title. Furthermore, the Blues also faced an uncharacteristic defeat at home just the past match-day.
As things stand, anticipate goals to come from either end of the pitch.
Key Stats for Betting
- Tuchel’s men are currently placed third in the English top flight, and they have lost just once at this venue since September.
- Meanwhile, the Royal Whites had scored two or more goals in four of their past five overall games, and they had slotted in three or more goals in three of their preceding five matches.