Borussia Dortmund vs Bayern Munich
German Super Cup
Date: Tuesday, 17 August 2021
Kick-off at 19:30 UK/ 20:30 CET
Venue: Signal Iduna Park (Dortmund).
Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich lock horns in the German Super Cup, the first silverware of the 2021/22 football campaign.
The teams had contrasting fortunes on opening weekend of the Bundesliga regular season. The BVB ran out deserved winners over Eintracht Frankfurt with Erling Haaland hitting top gear in no time. The Norwegian sensation was involved in all 5 goals for his team. He scored twice while providing the assists for Reus, Hazard and Reyna
It will be worth noting that Dortmund is still way short of a full-strength squad with 12 played out with injuries. Mat Hummels, Julian Brandt, Thomas Delaney, Zagadou, Guerreiro and Emre Can are in the list.
Bayern Munich on the other hand were held to a 1-1 draw by Monchengladbach. Both goals came inside the first 45 minutes, Lewandowski equalizing after Alassane Plea putting the Borrussians upfront.
These are early days for Julian Nagelsmann in Bayern’s dugout. But he is already feeling the heat after a colorless pre-season where the Bavarians failed to win in any of the 3 friendlies and suffered defeats in 3. They also conceded goals at an alarming rate, 10 in total and this will be music to the ears of Haaland and co.
Borussia Dortmund vs Bayern Munich Head-to-head
- Bayern won the last 5 head-to-head meetings with Dortmund. This includes a solid 2-0 win in last season’s German Super Cup.
- However, Dortmund lifted the trophy in 2019 with a same 2-0 scoreline.
- Their last two head-to-head meetings at the Signal Iduna Park saw the same 3-2 scoreline in favour of the Bavarians.
- Interestingly, 11 of their last 14 head-to-head across all competitions and venues registered an impressive over 3.5 goals.
- Their last three matchups alone produced 16 goals in total, 10 to 6 in favour of Bayern.
Dortmund vs Bayern Munich Prediction
This fixture hardly disappoints with two star studded teams heavy in the attacking front.
Dortmund just gave us a hint of what to expect from them this season, while Bayern after the shortfall at Gladbach will be eager to impress here.
At the same time, both teams showed us that there is plenty of holes to fix in the defense.
Therefore, goals are to be backed here, also considering the number of high scoring h2h encounters in recent past.
As an alternate bet, I will pick Erling Haaland to score anytime here. He already scored 5 in 2 outings, the first a hat-trick against Wehen in the DFB Pokal.