Atletico Madrid vs Manchester United
UEFA Champions League
Date: Wednesday, 23 February 2022
Kick-off at 20:00 UK/ 21:00 CET
Venue: Wanda Metropolitano.
Both these teams have not had the best of campaigns in their respective domestic leagues, and they are desperately trying to secure at least a fourth-place finish, in order to ensure a ticket to the next edition of the CL.
Atleti have been finding it hard to keep clean sheets at all this season – which once used to be their identity. They were even defeated 4-2 by arch-rivals Barcelona just two weeks back.
Meanwhile, the Red Devils have been through a rollercoaster ride of emotions so far this season, and quite frankly, it would keep going on till the end of 2021-22.
Inconsistent – is the one word with which the performances of the team could be summed up this season. They have conceded quite in plenty all through 2021-22 – and even so when they have won games.
As these two take on each other this Wednesday at the Wanda Metropolitano, expect a fierce encounter. Both appear to be evenly matched, and it’s anticipated that goals will come from either end of the pitch.
Atletico Madrid vs Manchester United Head-to-head (h2h)
- The latest clash between the two had ended in a 1-1 draw.
- Atleti had conceded two or more goals in their last three games against other English rivals.
- The Devils lost the final of 2020-21 Europa League, to a Spanish team – Villarreal.
- Two of their past three encounters against other Spanish teams had goals from both teams.
Atletico Madrid vs Manchester United Prediction & Analysis
Recently, Atleti have been conceding goals quite regularly – but at the same time, they have also been scoring goals at a good rate. In fact, 12 of their past 16 overall games had three or more goals, and three of their former five fixtures had five or more goals.
Note that they had also conceded a total of eight goals from their past four appearances at home.
On the other hand, Manchester United had scored a total of six goals from their previous two games, but they have just three clean sheets from their last twelve fixtures. Moreover, three of their former four road trips had four or more goals as well.
Considering these observations, expect either team to slot in at least one goal this Wednesday. However, a win looks kind of improbable for these two evenly-matched teams, and a draw is expected.
Key Stats for Betting
- Ralf Rangnick’s men had failed to keep clean sheets in nine of their past twelve overall games.
- The last they kept a clean sheet on the road was back in the second week of December.
- Meanwhile, Diego Simeone’s men had conceded two or more goals in six of the last eight match-ups.