Atlanta United vs Orlando City: Three Questions With The Mane Land
Ben Miller gives us a sneak peek at Orlando’s season so far in the first campaign under Oscar Pareja’s leadership
Atlanta United returns to action Saturday afternoon against Orlando City SC at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. The match will be nationally televised on Univision with coverage starting at 3:30 p.m. ET and transmitted on Sports Radio 92.9 The Game.
- Atlanta United holds a 7-0-2 all-time record against Orlando in MLS (6-0-2) and Open Cup (1-0-0) play and has outscored the Lions 17-6.
- Atlanta has won the last six matches, including the most recent meeting 1-0 at Exploria Stadium on Aug. 23, 2019.
- Coming off his second brace of 2020, Pity Martínez leads Atlanta with four goals and four assists combined in MLS and Concacaf Champions League play.
- Brad Guzan recorded his 37th MLS clean sheet with Atlanta against Nashville, which is tied for the league lead since the start of 2017 (MLS Regular Season and Playoffs).
- Atlanta enters the match ranked third in MLS in team passing accuracy at 85.32 percent and fourth in possession at 56.77 percent.
- Stephen Glass became the 15th MLS interim head coach to win his first match in charge and will face Oscar Pareja on Saturday, who is 3-2-2 in regular season play in his first season in Orlando and 106-81-58 all-time in MLS.
- Orlando is coming off a 3-1 victory against Nashville SC on Aug. 26 at Exploria Stadium. Daryl Dike scored a brace and Chris Mueller netted his team-leading fifth goal of the season.
Saturday, Aug. 29 | Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA|3:30 p.m. (ET)
Atlanta United (3-3-0, 9 points) vs. Orlando City SC (3-2-2, 11 points)
Atlanta, on the other hand, got off to a bright start under interim manager Stephen Glass with a 2-0 win over Nashville SC. Orlando, though, is a level or two above the Tennessean side, as Wednesday’s result showed. Although Saturday won’t be anything like an ultimatum for the current roster, Atlanta will get a good look at where and what its weak spots are against a team with the quality that Orlando possesses. Now excuse me while I go and wash my keyboard for the next half-hour after writing that. Unfortunately, however, its true this year, and Atlanta have to be the underdogs Saturday, if only slightly.
Predicted Starting XIs
Prediction: Atlanta United 1-1 Orlando City
Orlando may be favored, but Atlanta will definitely be able to hold its own. I expect an entertaining, if low scoring draw, although the rivalry flair that we’ve become used to in this fixture may be absent along with the fans