Athletic Bilbao vs Real Madrid
Spain – Copa del Rey
Date: Thursday, 3 February 2022
Kick-off at 20:30 UK/ 21:30 CET
Venue: Estadio San Mamés.
The Los Blancos continue to be the best in Spain, and they are placed well to go after the domestic double. They are placed at the top of the league table with a four-point lead, and have scored the most number of goals.
Moreover, they are currently in the Quarter Final of the Copa del Rey, while both of their arch-rivals (Barca and Atleti) are out of the competition. Things just could not be better for the Royal Whites.
Meanwhile, Bilbao have had issues with their consistency. They are conceding goals in plenty, and are dropping points in almost every other fixture.
Moreover, they also have a poor h2h record against this rival over the years.
Judging all these observations, expect a win for Carlo Ancelotti’s men this Thursday.
Athletic Bilbao vs Real Madrid Head-to-head (h2h)
- The latest encounter had ended in a 2-0 win for the Royal Whites.
- They are on a four-game winning streak.
- It’s been seven years since the hosts had won at this venue.
- The last time these two locked horns, the guests won 1-2 at this ground.
Athletic Bilbao vs Real Madrid Prediction & Analysis
Bilbao managed to defeat Barcelona in the previous round, but the match had extended into extra time. Moreover, this was not the Barca of old times.
Going on, the Basque Nation were winless in 12 of their past 17 games, and they had also lost three of their past six appearances at home. Note that they had also conceded two or more goals in four of their previous five home fixtures.
On the other hand, Real Madrid recorded a 1-2 win against Elche in the preceding round. They were also unbeaten in 21 of their past 22 matches, and 18 of these were wins.
In the process they had gone on a ten-fixture winning streak, and they had scored two or more goals in ten of their former eleven road trips.
Considering these observations, and the h2h superiority of Real Madrid, expect a win for them this Thursday.
Key Stats for Betting
- The Los Blancos are placed at the top of the league table, and they have lost just twice through the campaign.
- They have a surplus of 19 more points than their counterparts for the day, Bilbao. They also have scored 26 goals more than them.
- Meanwhile, Bilbao are placed ninth, and have won just seven times in league fixtures.
- It’s been four months since they have kept a clean sheet at home.