Chelsea target Kai Havertz ‘has told Bayer Leverkusen he wants to leave the club’ but the Bundesliga side’s CEO says a £90m move to Stamford Bridge is not certain
Bayer Leverkusen chief executive Fernando Carro has confirmed that Kai Havertz wants to leave the Bundesliga club but said a potential transfer to Chelsea is not guaranteed.
The 21-year-old forward has been linked with a move to Stamford Bridge this summer, with Leverkusen keen to hold out for a £90million transfer.
Frank Lampard’s Blues, however, are only prepared to pay £70million for the German international at the moment and Carro admits that a potential deal may not work out.
Bayer Leverkusen CEO Fernando Carro says Kai Havertz (above) has asked to leave the club
The 21-year-old attacker has scored 38 goals in his last 87 matches for the Bundesliga side
The CEO told German news outlet Kolner Stadt-Anzeiger: ‘It was always clear that we will have talks once the Europa League season concluded.
‘Kai has voiced his desire to make the next step. At the moment, I can’t say whether this will work out in the near future or not.’
Havertz is deemed to be one of the top young players in Europe having scored 38 goals in his last 87 matches in all competitions for the German side.
Havertz has been linked with a move to Frank Lampard (above)’s Chelsea in a £70million move
The German side value Havertz (right) at £90million and want this requirement to be met
The 21-year-old came through the youth ranks at Leverkusen but his side failed to qualify for next season’s Champions League after a fifth-placed finish in the Bundesliga.
The German club also crashed out against Inter Milan in last week’s Europa League quarter-final to rule out any chances of playing in Europe’s premier club competition.
Leverkusen sporting director Rudi Voller revealed that Havertz could leave this summer, but only if certain conditions are met.
Promising youngster Havertz guided his side to a fifth-placed finish in the Bundesliga last term
Voller told Kicker this week: ‘No decision has been made yet. I’d like to repeat myself by emphasizing that we’re talking about a wonderful footballer.
‘There is nothing new in this regard. We have a clear and mutual agreement with him and his representatives that he can only leave under certain conditions. Otherwise he will stay.’
The transfer window shuts on October 5, with the new Premier League season starting on September 12.
Chelsea have already sealed deals for attacking duo Timo Werner and Hakim Ziyech this summer, while they have let go wingers Pedro and Willian on free transfers.