SETTING UP A VPN IN MACOS
As with the other formats here, there are apps that help you through the setup process automatically, but you can also do it yourself manually.
- To start, head into System Preferences and then dive into Network.
- From there, the process is straightforward. Click the Plus symbol button on the bottom left, and use the Interface drop-down menu to choose VPN. You’ll need the details from your VPN of choice to fill out the VPN Type and Service Name.
- Click on the Create button. Fill out the server address, remote ID and local ID in the appropriate fields. Click on Authentication Settings.
- Enter the username and password for your VPN, which you can set through your VPN app.
- Click OK and Connect.
SETTING UP A VPN IN IOS
Setting up a VPN on an iOS device is fairly simple. Again, if you download an app from the App Store, it should automatically configure settings for you. Here’s how to do it manually, though:
- Just head into Settings and tap on General.
- Scroll down to select VPN (the iPhone will say whether you are currently connected to one or not).
- Tap on Add VPN Configuration and then on Type to select a security protocol. (Follow the instructions provided by your chosen app).
- Go back to the Add Configuration screen, where you will add the VPN’s description, server, remote ID and local ID.
- Enter your username and password. You can also use a proxy if you want to.
- Tap Done You will then be brought back to the VPN screen. Toggle the Status switch to on.
SETTING UP A VPN IN ANDROID
Like iOS, setting up a VPN on an Android device shouldn’t be too difficult. Here’s the manual process if you’re not letting an app automatically configure things for you. (Keep in mind that, because some vendors tweak their Android versions, your process may vary slightly.)
- Head into Settings > Network & Internet > Advanced > VPN (you should see a little key icon). If you don’t see Network & Internet in the Settings menu (which may happen depending on your Android overlay), then do a search within Settings for VPN. Press the Add button.
- If you happen to be setting this up on a new phone, or if you haven’t yet set a screen lock or password, Google will prompt you to first set one for your phone. Do so.
- Now create your VPN profile. Add the VPN name, type, and Server address. Click on Save.
- You’ll be taken back to the VPN screen, where you should now see the name of your VPN. Tap on it, and put in your name and password. You can also choose to save your account information, and you can make the VPN always on. Click on Connect.
- Enter the VPN name, type, server address, username, and password.
- Then, save. You’re done!
Once you’ve got your VPN up and running, you might notice web browsing isn’t as fast as it used to be, especially if you’ve configured traffic to go through another country. Stronger encryption, or more users connected to one VPN, can also slow down your internet speeds. Downloads might slow to snail speed and your League of Legends screen lag might be absurd. But that’s not a big problem compared to the security that you’ve added.
If you are using our application as a free user, please be aware of the connectivity differences between a Free and Premium subscription.
Betternet’s Free Edition provides US IP addresses which allow users to access blocked content in the US only. The content that’s accessible with the free version is limited. Betternet’s Free edition is also supported by ads, If you want to have full access to US sites you will need to upgrade to Premium.
As a free user, you only have access to one device and you cannot choose your Virtual Location. You also have a 500 MB/day data limit and will see ads.
With our free service, you can only link 1 device per account as opposed to our premium service where you can use up to 6 devices simultaneously.
You can always use our app for free, simply by closing out of the Payment Screen you get when you first install us. However, we hope you’ll sign up for our seven-day Premium trial so that you can get even more out of Betternet, including personalized tech support reserved only for our Premium members