Angry Mobs Beaten A Kenyan Man To Death Suspected Of Having Coronavirus

A man suspected of having coronavirus in south-eastern Kenya was beaten up by a group of youths and later died in hospital.

Local police chief Nehemiah Bitok confirmed the death to the BBC and said no arrests had been made and investigations were under way.

The attack took place in the fishing village of Msambweni in Kwale county, an area on the coast popular with tourists because of its sandy, white beaches.

According to Kenya’s Daily Nation newspaper, the man was attacked on his way home at around 21:00 local time on Tuesday after he had been out drinking.

Kenya’s health ministry has so far confirmed seven cases of coronavirus.

The East African nation has imposed strict travel restrictions on foreigners, closed learning institutions and banned public gatherings.

Rwanda has suspended all passenger flights in and out of the country after detecting three new cases of coronavirus, bringing the number to 11.

The suspension would be effective from midnight on Friday.

The three new patients are:

  • An an Indian woman who arrived on 8 March and is married to a man who tested positive previously
  • A 26-year-old Rwandan man who had not travelled recently and
  • A 45-year-old who arrived from Belgium via Addis Ababa.

In a tweet, RwandAir said it was rebooking tickets or refunding passengers who were due to travel:

Leave a Reply